Header

Image Map

Apple Week- Its a Wrap Folks!

Thank God for teaching themes and thank God for normal routines. Last week was so much fun diving deep into our apple them, but honestly after all that excitement, I have to say I'm really looking forward to an uneventful week.
Back to our normal routine- ahhh!

So to be completely honest, I had every intention of posting on Friday and linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the Five for Friday linky party, but if I can be real with you- at the end of the day on Friday, I had no more energy left. I was depleted. So I decided to call it a day and was in bed by 7:30pm NO JOKE!


Now that I've finally recovered, I wanted to share all the amazing highlights from our week and thought you'd want to see our highlight reel :)



~Numero Uno~ 
On a personal note, one of my very good friends had a baby (on Tuesday) and Wednesday she texted me and asked if I wanted to come over and meet him- UM YA!!!!! I didn't hesitate to jump in my car and head over to her house with a quickness, boy was that the best part of the week!

Check out this little bundle of cuteness! I melted!

 



~Numero Dos~

Apples Galore!!!
Seriously I was so happy and impressed we found so many ways to incorporate apples into our learning this week.

Tuesday we visited an apple farm in Sebastapol and my students got to pick apples right off the trees. Each student got to take home a bag of apples they picked themselves and we kept a box of apples to use in the classroom for our baking projects. 





~Numero Tres~

Apple baking! Now I have to admit at the time I felt like I may have bit off more than I could chew, but a few days later, I decided I would totally do it again next year. Call me crazy, but the kiddos had such a blast it totally felt worth it!

So to recap we: peeled and cored apples (then cut up the slices and used them to make pies, used a juicer to juice the apples from the farm and put the rest of the apples in a crockpot and made applesauce.











Okay, seriously how cute are these mini pies???? LOVE them! And they were pretty darn tasty too! 







 We also filled our marble jar and as our reward we had an apple tasting party.  Each student got to taste a pie, fresh apple juice and homemade applesauce. 

We then graphed our favorites. 









~Numero Cuatro~

A little bit of sad apple science




I absolutely LOVED the apple unit Abby Mullens from The Inspired Apple just came out with and I was one of the teachers who quickly snached it up when it was on sale and promptly put it to good use.

We kicked off our apple mini unit by comparing facts and opinions about apples. 
We then form a hypothesis about what would happen when we dropped an apple from a high distance. I thought the kiddos had some pretty smart ideas. They hypothesized it would either bruise, squirt juice, explode or nothing would happen.
We then took our little apple outside and tested our hypotheses. 
Check out what happened:

We dropped it from the top of our play structure and it only got a little scrape from the bark.

We then dropped it down the slide and it got a bruise. 
The last thing we did was throw it directly onto the cement and then it EXPLODED!
The students were excited when that happened :)








     


~Numero Cinco~

Apple Bake Sale & Tasting fun!


Friday my class had a bake sale and sold all of our goodies that we had been baking all..week..long.
It was so rewarding and a great lesson for my kids on the roles of producers and consumers. We had to create our products from scratch and then sell them to make a profit.
Our P.E. coach (seriously a school celebrity! All the kids love him so much) taste tested and LOVED all our treats and agreed to endorse our products :)
Wasn't that sweet of him?
It definitely made our pies and applesauce sell like hot cakes!






And lastly, this note was WAY too cute not to share! 
So my last name is Niehausen (knee-house-in) and I'll admit it's definitely not the easiest name to spell.

I thought this phonetic spelling was very cute and creative!
"Neghsen" and "Neghoson" hahaha! Way too funny! 

Well that's all for now folks.

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy Fall Ya'll!

 ~ Abbie ~


















No comments:

Post a Comment