Header

Image Map

Five for Friday TGIF!!

Five For Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching

I hope you all had an amazing week. We were very busy, but we got so much accomplished and I can't believe how much I've seen my kindergarteners grow in just TWO WEEKS!!

They are already learning how to be kind, considerate, patient and loving. I am thoroughly loving all the learning and growth that is taking place.

So to kick things off this Friday here's my first highlight of the week!






I don't know if any of you are as OBSESSED with pumpkins as I am, but let me tell ya- I might have a problem! I start thinking about fall and pumpkins in March and April and it gets me excited and gives me the little UMPH I need to push through to the end of the school year- a little crazy but it works for me :)


I got a flyer in the mail for NOAH's pumpkin bagels and I almost had a conniption fit! I NEED TO GET SOME!


I also celebrated our first chilly morning (its starting to feel like fall) we've had by picking up a pumpkin spice latte- Can I say Bliss???


 I saw this super cute idea on Pinterest, and thought it would be an awesome way to get my kiddos excited about learning. We are filling it in halfway- each day we are reading and adding on an extra minute. They have been doing SO well! I'm very pleased!




  
        We are quite the typing experts! 5 years ago I discovered the joy that is bbc typing and ever since I have taught my kindergarteners to use it. By the end of the school year they are able to type independently and feel so proud of themselves!
Check it out here:



 This week in science we talked all about germs. How they spread and how we can prevent them from spreading. We started our conversation by testing out what will happen when bread is touched by dirty hands. The bag labeled "dirty hands" has bread that was touched by every student. The "clean hands" bag has bread only touched by a few students with clean hands. The "control" bag has bread that was not touched. We are still waiting to see what will happen.

I found some amazing videos which helped make our learning more meaningful. The students especially enjoyed this treasure:

Don't Infect! Protect!

 


By the way, I am LOVING these Interactive Social Studies Journals (K-2) by Primary Graffiti
I have enough material to cover all the units we will be studying this year! HALLELUJAH!!!

We kicked off our solar system unit yesterday. Take a look at this AMAZING mobile a student asked if they could bring in and share! I think it will make our study so engaging and exciting!

HAVE A FABULOUS WEEKEND!!!!
Thank God Its Friday!!



8 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin EVERYTHING this time of year. I even went by the library to get some library books about Halloween. I was wondering about Primary Graffiti's interactive social studies notebooks, what does it cover? Glad you joined FFF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbie!

    Your blog is so much fun! I noticed in your bio you are from Novato. I am just up the way in Healdsburg, Ca. My mouth drools for pumpkin, but I can't say I have had a pumpkin bagel. I will need to try that. The science experiment with germs looks really cool. I bet your students are in to it!

    Sincerely,

    Sheila Jane
    Explore
    Watch
    Listen
    Selfie Land
    Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila Jane! Yes, the pumpkin bagel (and pumpkin cream cheese) are ta DIE for! I look forward to them all year long :) That is awesome that you're so close, maybe we should plan a meet up sometime? It would be great to meet more teaching bloggers in our area! I found the germ activity on Pinterest and thought it looked really cool. Now we've just got to wait and see how long it will take for the mold to show. Hopefully it will happen soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Miss Perry's Peaches- I am LOVING FFF! How have I waited this long? I'm kicking myself for procrastinating, cause it is so much fun! Thanks for all your help getting me started. I think you were the one that inspired me to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miss Perry's Peaches- Sorry I just realized I didn't answer your question. The interactive social studies notebook is amazing an covers a huge range of topics. Its a whopping 158 pages and it covers everything from community helpers, producers, consumers, goods, services, resources (natural, human, capital & industry), geography (continents, oceans) map skills, Landforms, weather, branches of government and so much more. It is incredible! I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested the typing program you use. I'm going to look it up. I teach KK-2 gifted students. My 2nd graders and second semester 1st graders can peck out a few words, but that's it. Suggestions?
    Teaching with a Twist

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meridith, Thanks for your comment! I have found great success with BBC Typing. I suggest starting out slow. The first thing I do before getting my students typing is to teach them how to move their fingers individually. I usually put a big silly plastic ring on my pointer finger then have the kids copy me as I move mine up and down. I then practice moving my middle, ring and pinky fingers individually. Once my students can do that successfully, I teach them to find the "bumps" on the keyboard found on the f and j keys. I always have them put their pointer fingers on the bumps and then tell them that every other finger has its own home (or key). When I feel they are ready, I load level 1 of BBC typing and as the students listen to instructions, I gently "tickle" each finger they are supposed to press down so they learn how to use one finger at a time. I hope this helps :)
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing to see you here and it's wonderful experience seeing your blog and inspired by seeing your blog and looking to learn more from you.

    ReplyDelete